Thursday, May 29, 2014

I Am....Committed?

Confession #2 - I Am...Committed

My heart begins to beat fast. Beads of sweat form above my brow. I twist my hands with nervousness because the word "commitment" is huge to me.

I've been told all my life that I'm indecisive. Do you need examples? Well, I was hesitant about getting a No Chip Manicure because I can't usually commit to a nail polish color for more than three days? Is that too minor? Here's another example. It took me 12 years to join the church I've attended faithfully every Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday. When I finally decided to attend our new members class, I was asked why now when I'd already been there so long. They said, "People think of you as a member already."

Truthfully, I felt that it was important for me to take the class. Yes, people already considered me a member but I wasn't. I'd volunteered a few times and it's where I paid my tithe and offering. It's where I called home. But the truth was, I was just a faithful attender and not a member. It's almost like dating someone for 12 years and someone says,  "Why get married now? You've been together all of this time. People consider you guys to be married already." There is a difference between attending and being willing to make the time and vow to be officially committed.





This year I completed my first book. It took me three years to do so. I knew exactly how the story began and how it would end. There was no writers block. I just didn't make the time to do it. Last year, I decided that I needed to complete what I finished. It would be too easy to give up.

“There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstance permit. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results.” -Art Turock


I'm not ashamed to say that I am proud of myself. Completing the book was an accomplishment for me. Realizing that the book was a reminder and inspiration for myself, I placed it back on my shelf as a reminder that I can complete something if I wanted to without excuses.  What else have I committed to this year? This blog. It's a 30 day commitment to write in it daily. No excuses. Just results. Are you truly committed?







2 comments:

  1. I appreciated this post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete