Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Eve's Fairy Tale - A Time Or Two


Once upon a time I could have fallen in love a time or two. Everything was working out in my favor. It always began the right way. I was alone, locked away in an attic. I watched from the window as those that knew me began to partake in what I wanted a piece of. Yet, it wasn't my time. Through situations and obstacles in life, I found an upside. The little things were enjoyable. Fresh rain quenched my thirst on warm summer days. Grass with lilies were my mattress as I laid and listened to the lullabies sang to me from the birds. The stars were my night light that watched over me. I tried to count to each one but somehow managed to fall asleep before counting at least 82.



There was no denying that I was still waiting on prince charming. He didn't have to ride in on a white horse nor did he need to save me. I didn't need a grand ball to make an entrance. We just needed to make eye contact and there our story would begin. It had happened to me before. If that was the beginning of love, I could have fell in love a time or two. Good morning messages and mid day conversation kept a tattooed smile on my face. The sun seemed to shine a little brighter. The days work was only a balance for the happiness awaiting me in the near hours to remind me that I wasn't living a complete fantasy.

His voice was commanding. His conversation was intriguing. Long strides of his legs produced confidence, while his sternness demanded respect. His smile was sweeter than honey and his touch as pleasant as silk. If I was smart, I could have fallen in love a time or two. We'd meet in far away gardens and lose track of time. Those days were always remembered as I prayed another future memory would take it's place of being just as exhilarating.

To my displeasure, my conscience told me to let go. Is it because our moments slowly became forbidden that I longed for them much more? Eventually we could no longer lost track of time in the garden. He had to be gone before the clock struck twelve. He'd have to leave once again. Had he been able to stay, I could have fallen in love a time or two.

Conversations became shorter and the messages became non-existent. The sun was a little dimmer and work had no balance of future memories to weigh it even. I strolled the gardens by myself as I remembered the outline of his face. I missed him. Yet, he was no longer mine. There was no fairy godmother to press rewind. I wasn't granted three wishes nor received a kiss to awake me from this nightmare. Walking out of the garden to the dwelling place I called home, I saw each of my past loves blissfully waltz across my path. No longer did their eyes meet mine. They'd moved on without me. They'd found their rightful Eve as I was still awaiting my rightful Adam in the garden. Today was another day in which he didn't appear. The wait never got easier. The wait became a little more bearable. Upon my mattress in the grass made of lilies, my ears ingested the sound of my lullabies being sang from the trees. The wind snuggled around my body as I watched the stars. The stars and I began our counting game that I would always lose. My shutters over my eyes began to lower as I counted 57 and then 58. Before ever reaching 82 and dreaming of my blissful days spent with another Eve's Adam, I realized if I were honest with myself, I'd admit I fell in love a time or two.

~Eve

1 comment: