Saturday, June 7, 2014

Friends...

Family, friends, associates, I have them all. My closest friends become like family. I would do just about anything for them. Anyone that knows me, finds out fairly quickly that I keep my inner circle very small. It's important. You can't let everyone have access to you. In turn, I take my friendships very seriously. I am aware that I can't be everything to everyone. 

My two best friends know me well. They know that I'm a private person and and 97.9% of the time, I will not share my experience with them until it's over. That includes pain, relationships, announcements, etc. It's something that I've always kept to myself. With that said, they respect it. They love me despite my many flaws and I love them the same. 

My friends love me even when I can not be a friend to them for a portion of time. As stated previously, I will do just about anything for my friends. They rarely have to ask for anything, but when they do, I'm only a phone call or plane trip away. Despite the invisible "S" I stamped on my chest, I realize that I am not invincible. The main person that I neglect at times is myself. I forget to pamper myself, take myself out for quality time, and take time to decipher through my own thoughts. I need to listen to my inner voice. At times, the friend you are to others, you have to be to yourself. 

When you offer something, you want to offer your best. At least I know that's how I feel. Nonetheless over the years I had to disband a few relationships. It was draining. I would constantly give, yet they never gave anything back. When I looked at the glass, it was half empty and not half full. They were willing to continue sipping from the glass until there was nothing left had I allowed it. Friendships are give and take.  

No comments:

Post a Comment