Sunday, June 22, 2014

Spiritual Maturity...When You Don't Receive An Answer From God.

We all think we possess it. In some areas we do and we can use a lot more of it in other areas in our lives. We constantly need to grow in various areas.

There have been times when I've asked God a question and I hadn't heard an answer back. I waited days, weeks, months, and even years, yet nothing. I became frustrated. Fasting, praying, reading, studying, and nothing gave me a clear answer as to why God was shifting things and not shifting others. It seemed that once I finally gained a little happiness, God was shifting things in a different direction that didn't include that people that I wanted with me most. God definitely was quick to give me a "no" as opposed to a "yes". Why?

It's all about spiritual maturity. Let me give you an example. I'm pretty sure you can relate. We all have that one friend that has come to us happy about a new relationship that she is in. She's head over heels for him and somehow even when you're talking about the last episode of Greys Anatomy or a clearance sale at DSW, she manages to tie in her new found love interest in the topic.

Example 1You: DSW has an amazing sale on sandals this week. I have a coupon for an extra 15% off if you want to use it.
Your Friend: Thanks! Tony (her new love interest) and I are supposed to go for a walk in the park this week for our date night.

Example 2
You
: I can't believe Cristina left Meredith by herself! Now who's going to be "her person"?!
Your Friend: That's crazy. I think Tony is "my person" now. I call him whenever something good or bad happens. 

Right now she is smitten. Anything you say will revert back to her love interest because that's the only thing on her mind at this time. You're happy that she's happy, but you can see some red flags with the new guy that she overlooks because she's head over heels. For instance, he may always cancel at the last minute, he never confirms dates, they only go on dates when it's convenient for him, she's always reaching out to him and he hardly ever contacts her first, and the list goes on. However, if you were to mention it to her, she'd think you were raining on her parade. Unfortunately, she'd think that you were jealous of her new found relationship which is far from the truth. She's in a sensitive place. She's not in a place to receive an answer that she doesn't want to hear. She's not ready to accept it.

Often times, the same applies when we are awaiting an answer from God. We may not be in a place to receive instruction maturely. Of course we want to think that we will not pout nor try to bargain with God. We might even think of ways to keep that person or thing in our lives and try to show God how it can still work. We're only fooling ourselves when we do that. We're basing our feelings on the short term emotions we have in the moment. God is looking ahead. He sees the whole picture while we're only handed several puzzle pieces.

Grow spiritually. Pray that you'll be ready to receive the answer and message that God has for you with maturity in His due time. Can God trust you with His answers of "no"?

No comments:

Post a Comment