Sunday, June 15, 2014

Modest??

As usual, I stopped by the nail shop yesterday to get a pedicure. It does seem as though I spend a lot of time there. Hey, the weather is warm and no one wants to see my missing and chipping toe polish, not even me. While waiting for my toes to dry at the drying station, a woman sitting towards me said, "You're the first woman I've seen that pins her low dipped shirts. Most women let it hang all out. You know, I really respect you for doing that." Instantly, her friend that sat beside her looked at my non-visible cleavage and nodded her head. I smiled and said thank you. It led me to wonder if dressing modest is foreign?

Admittedly, I've been told more than a few times that I dress fairly conservative for my age. I'm still not sure exactly what that means. My Spring/Summer wardrobe consist of: blouses, tank tops, long maxi dresses, knitted sweaters, skinny jeans, etc. Sound typical? I thought so too. Ever heard the phrase, "If you got it, flaunt it"? Yeah, that's not me. I do prefer being fully clothed.

#repost #truth #marcjacobs #fashion #sexy

No my jeans do not appear to be painted on, I do like the luxury of being able to breathe when I sit down. My dresses reach the calves of my legs because that extra cellulite on my thighs dare me to wear a dress or skirt above the knee. My tanks and shirts get pinned if I think they are too long for my own comfort, for that reason alone, MY OWN COMFORT.

I'm going to be completely uncensored right now. I ask myself what kind of woman would I be to wear something with the intent to make a man stumble with lust intentionally. Not on my watch! Do I want to look nice? Most days when I'm not at work. Do I want to be considered attractive or be desirable? Of course, I'd be a liar if I said I didn't.  But the question is, "At what expense?" I don't judge anyone and the way in which they choose to dress themselves. Some like to "let it all hang out" and I rather cover it all up.

Over the years I've been asked by both men and women, why I dress the way I do. Because it is comfortable. I'm confident when I walk out the house to engage in the journey set before me. I don't get dressed for anyone but myself. When rummaging through my closet for the outfit of the day, I do not think, "I wonder if this will attract a man and make him look." However, I do think, "How can I layer this just in case I get cold or hot?"

I am careful with the message that I send. I am not a small woman. I am a curvy woman. A woman that is a size 4 and myself a size 10 can wear the same exact thing and it will look great on her, but when I wear it, it'll look provocative. Prime example, pencil skirts! All of my weight is in the lower half of my body. I'm built of nothing but hips and thighs. Thank you to all of my aunts from both sides of the family (insert an eye roll). It's hard for me to wear a pencil  skirt. It'll look provocative from the front and if I turn to the side...yup. So I'm conscious of what I wear. There's no shame in that.

You can look cute, well dressed, and be fully covered. Yes, it can all coexist. Label it all you like. Me? I'm not changing my "modest" apparel. It's just an extension of me.

~Eve

2 comments: