Tuesday, June 3, 2014

When It Doesn’t Happen…

It’s easy to feel encouraged when you hear what you’ve longed for is just around the corner. No one wants to hear the disappointing words of “It will not happen”. At times we’re hindering ourselves by holding on to something we may have been instructed to let go of a while ago. What happens when you receive the answer, “That person will not be your spouse”? Maybe you’ll hear, “The house you want will be sold to someone else. You will not receive the promotion from this company.”

God wants you to have a full life. He wants you to reach your full potential. However, you have to remember at some point you gave your life to Christ. Your life is no longer your own. You are walking in God’s will for your life and not your own will for your life. Yes, God wants to give you the desires of your heart, but they have to line up with His will as well. It’s important to remember that the priority list you have for your life, is not in the same order as God has for your life.

There comes a time when we have to stop throwing adult tantrums. Please do not count yourself out. We’ve all done it. “But whyyyyy God? I’ve been praying, fasting, and living life the best I know how. There are people that are getting everything they ask for and they rarely go to church and the most that they pray is if something goes wrong. I don’t understand.” Does any of this sound familiar? God is not a genie nor Santa Claus. You can’t rub your hand across the Bible as if it were a shiny lamp and expect him to grant you three wishes. Nor is God Santa Claus where he bounces you on His knee and you give Him a list of the things you want and you give Him a deadline date as to when it should be sitting under your tree. God does not operate that way.


Ask yourself if your faith fails or takes a hit when you don’t get what you’ve been waiting for. It is normal to be disappointed. Yet, that shouldn’t keep you from walking forward with Christ. Again, if you weren’t comparing yourself to everyone else’s highlight reel, you might be more satisfied with where you are in your current situation (I am aware that is now always the case). If that door to what you wanted is shut, that means there is another door that God is steering you towards. Has someone ever upset you and then proceeded  to call you shortly after? Instead of answering,  you just let the phone ring or pressed ignore. You didn’t want to hear what they had to say even though you’re not sure what the call is concerning. You only know that they aren’t calling with the answer you want. Could you be doing the same with God? Could He calling out to you, yet you refuse to answer because at this time you’re walking in offense. On the other end of the line could be an amazing opportunity that is possibly bigger than you conceived for yourself, yet you miss the opportunity due to your failure to respond.



What God has for you is always better than what you wanted for yourself. We’re not immune to pain, hurt, and frustration. We are no better than our neighbor who continues to stumble. We are no less than our friends that have the spouse, children, six figure salary, and white picket fence. Again, their blessings don’t make yours void. The enemy would love for you to be envious of others and ignore the call from God.Stop giving the enemy so much power.


Not too long ago I was frustrated with things not happening for me as I wished they would. I felt that I received clear answers of “no” and “let it go” from God. Yet seldom, I heard “that is for you”. There were some nights when the tears saturated my pillow and my demeanor became distant from friends. There were days when the church service and message didn’t penetrate my heart as if did other times. Yet, I never gave up on God. I didn’t let me emotions or feelings keep me from praising. Yet, I was reminded that even though I didn’t hear “yes” to a few of my wants, I did answer the call when God said “no, let it go”. He was teaching me obedience. 

If God can’t trust you with His answers of “no” how can He trust you with His answers of “yes”? 

No comments:

Post a Comment