Monday, June 9, 2014

The 9 to 5


To say the least, my job is humbling. On days I feel like complaining, I have files to remind me that things aren’t as bad as they could be. In all truthfulness, I would have never imagined me working with people in this setting. And if I’m being 110% honest, I don’t ever recall applying for the job. I prayed for increase and a better paying job than what I had at the time and then I received a call for this one.

My interview was horrible! There is no shame in admitting that. My interview was conducted on a Wednesday after my part time gig and I fumbled all of the questions. Truth be told I’m not a good interviewer because I’m not comfortable talking to complete strangers about myself. A man would have to encounter seeing me at least twice and having a brief conversation before he asked for my number in order for me to consider it. Hence the reason I may still be single, but I digress. Back to the story, my interview was horrible. Shortly after my car found its way to a Taco Bell. It was my guilty pity meal. I was embarrassed that I even told close friends and family that I went on an interview because I was sure I wouldn’t get it. A week later, I received a call asking if I could quit my job immediately and come work for them. God is crazy faithful.

While I am grateful for the job that is a resource for me to do a lot of things, I have to learn how to not let it stress me. In no way, shape, or form have I conquered this. But I know I need to change and QUICKLY! How do I know? My body is telling me that it is time to change. I’ve began some pretty bad habits. My eating habits are horrible. Every now and then I’ll stop to get breakfast (bagel and OJ). Most days I won’t. I’ll grab something for lunch (fast food) twice a week and then I go home. Usually, I’ll fix something quick or opt for a chicken wrap AGAIN, another item that is fast food. The fast food was fast to attach to my hips and my buttock. This extra weight HAS TO GO AWAY. On top of that, my sleeping schedule is out of control. If I’m lucky, on any given day, I’ll potentially sleep for four hours and that’s typically not a consecutive four hours. When I get up, I’m sluggish which sends me grabbing for a nice cold carbonated soft drink. Yes, first thing in the morning at work I drink one because I despise even the smell of coffee. Might I add, I know the sugar in the carbonated drink added to the pounds.
But my life has become work. My down time is spent catching up on work emails and going to church. Don’t get me wrong, anyone that knows me knows that I love going to church, but I need to have a hobby. Last year, I created opportunities for me to enjoy life and have fun. And slowly yet surely it came to a halt. In various ways I needed to stop because I wasn’t balancing things correctly. I had too much fun and didn’t balance it well with work and church. I’m able to admit that.

I went to a meeting last year and I was surprised at what the speaker and former employee said. He simply stated to take all of your vacation and sick time. Too often we believe a place can’t function without us. And if you feel like you can’t leave for a few days, it means that you aren’t doing something right and you’re leaving loopholes. You are no good to your place of employment if you can’t give them your best. He was right. Today, I reminded myself of that and I submitted a few vacation days for myself. It was just two days, but its two days for me to clear my head and enjoy myself.


Your job is a resource not your source. You don’t have to take your coworkers home with you. It’s easier said than done, but give yourself a few minutes before you exit the car before walking into your home. Let your home be a place of peace. Your life, your health depends on it. 

1 comment: